So probably not the healthiest recipe you’ll see all day but man it was so yummy! I have Coeliacs so am on a strict Gluten Free diet which I manage pretty well with whole foods and natural products. However, growing up, my favourite meal was my Mum’s ‘Leekie Macaroni’ – basically mac and cheese with chopped up leeks mixed through and baked with breadcrumbs on top. So earlier this week I decided to try my own spin on it – mainly just using ingredients I happened to have lying around 🙂 I will say that ALL measurements are guesstimates – I cook like my Mum and kind of throw things together so forgive the inaccuracies 🙂
Barilla Gluten Free Elbows 8OZ or 3/4 of the 12OZ box
2 Organic chicken breasts
Small bowl of steamed brocolli
- Boil pasta in a large pan
- cook and cut chicken into small pieces – for added flavour sautee with chopped onions
- In another pan melt butter, keep heat low. Stir butter and continue to stir through this next whole process!!!
- Add rice flour to the butter, adding enough to sop up the butter. Stir in milk little by little, each time stirring long enough to allow rice flour and butter mix to fully blend with milk. Continue to do this until desired amount of sauce probably 1-2 cups worth of milk 🙂
- add grated cheese whilst continuing to stir, 1/2-1 cup.
- Once the cheese sauce is blended and smooth, add chicken pieces and broccoli and mix together
- Make are pasta has cooked, then drain and put back into large pan OFF the heat.
- Add sauce and stir together
- Transfer into a large glass dish – I used a 9x13inch pyrex dish
- Go back in time 5 minutes and put the oven on to ‘Broil’
- Sprinkle a small amount of grated cheese over dish, you can also add breadcrumbs if you like – gluten free to keep dish GF friendly 😀
- Put into oven for 8mins or until light brown over top of dish, or of course your own desired scale of burntness
- Allow to cool for a couple minutes then serve and enjoy